Small town Help

Discussion about the Models you have uploaded, or Models you are planning on making, or Models you would like to make
Steven
Anti-spam Test 1: No
Anti-spam Test 2: 5

Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:06 am

Just got the email and got registered, I'm new to building model anything and was given Model builder as a gift. I'm going to be building a in HO and my layout will be a rather small one 3' by 10'. This layout is going to be a Scenic'd version of John Allen's Timesaver in the middle of a small town USA city in the late 1950's early 1960's. Also since when I grew up the small town I grew up in the businesses were open late into the evening with people shopping and such. There was also a small freightyard in the downtown area with most of its activity being at night so the layout will focus on the nightime activities.
Any help, suggestions, or even contributions of Model builder Mb4 files would be appriciated.
SRV Ron

Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:15 am

Basic buildings and section homes are easily designed with Model Builder. Use Matt Paper Heavyweight to print on. If you design tabs in the buildings, you can just double stick tape them together. Also, save some recycled boxboard like food boxes and tape pieces inside the walls to stiffen them up.

Later, when you have designed buildings and hit the limitations of Model Builder, you can print the file as a PDF, you need a print as PDF converter program, at 300dpi and load it into Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. You can use its tools to properly create folding roof sections, make turret roofs, apply additional textures, add your own photo windows and doors, etc... While you could have used the paint program, Model Builder lets you do the basic building to scale quickly.

Take advantage of Model Builder to design 3-D backdrop structures for your layout.

With some more advanced modeling and the use of cut out windows covered in thin clear plastic, you can do building interiors in paper that include stocked shelving and small furniture. Use a small LED light for interior lighting.

If you have or know someone with an Alps Thermo printer, you could make up windows with lettering and signs on the clear plastic sheet. You may also be able to use an inkjet or laser printer on clear decal paper. Just design that to use the entire sheet for several projects.

Play with some of the pre made designs to get a feel to how they go together. I'm going to be busy this week with the Owosso Train Fest so it will be a while before I can upload some simple basic section and Sears kit homes to the forum. I will have my paper buildings there on the SRV modular layout. Some of those structures include a grain elevator and trailer park ghetto.
Steven

Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:10 am

Are you talking about a Train Show in Owasso, Oklahoma? If so I would like to stop by and shake your hand as I live in Tulsa.
SRV Ron

Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:31 pm

Sorry about being very busy. The show was in Owosso, Michigan at the Steam Institute. The place was jammed all four days. I am expecting some orders for model kits this week and sold several under the table at the show.

I will try to get something posted in the library before I get tied up with the Saginaw Fair next week.