Two page building plans?

Post your questions, comments and suggestions. Ask questions or report problems here.
badwargamer
Anti-spam Test 1: No
Anti-spam Test 2: 5

Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:52 am

Hi again! Just to let you know my current design process. I use Sketchup to get the shape and then Ultimate papercraft 3d to (eventually) get a 2d plan that I export as a .dxf file.
For some reason this ends up about a quarter of the size it should be but I can eventually rescale it to the right size in your program, hurrah!

Now because my line drawing covers two pages (A4) when it gets saved as a .dxf file it gets saved as two files.

I can't see a way of importing both files and having a two page model plan as one modelbuilder file. Is there one? If not, it's not the end of the world as I will just have to have two files on the go!

Adam
evande
Site Admin
Anti-spam Test 1: No
Anti-spam Test 2: 5

Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:01 pm

Importing plans into Model Builder, after you drop on screen you put in the "width" "height" dimensions from your other program in the boxes in Model Builder.

In Model builder you can have up to 4 pages included for projects 1:87 and larger. I guess you are asking how to make the .dxf a single file? Maybe tell your other program a custom paper size (equivalent to 2 sheets of A4) Check with the documentation of your Ultimate papercraft I don't know how the export to dxf is set up.

Also you can start to consider not using dxf files. You don't need them.
Model Builder has dimensions in actual meters/feet or printed cm/inches. It has paper tools. You can design right on the screen without the dxf to guide you.

Try downloading any of the files from the homepage to get a start on this building method:
http://evandesignsmodelbuilder.com/
even buildings not in your scale can be used. Watch video 4 on this page:
http://evandesignsmodelbuilder.com/videos2.php to see how to open a file made in another scale.
Evan Designs