Norton Security Software

Post your questions, comments and suggestions. Ask questions or report problems here.
treadhead1952
Anti-spam Test 1: No
Anti-spam Test 2: 5

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi All,

This is my first post and I thought I would share my experiences with uploading the Model Builder Software to my computer. I would like to thank David Jamison for his immediate response to my questions and the obviously excellent customer service that Evans Designs has for all of us.

I use Norton Security software on my system, an HP Dual Processor 2.6 Gigahertz, 4 Gigabytes of RAM, well over a Terabyte of available Hard Drive space and Vista 64 for an operating system. As you can tell, the specifications of my system is pretty much over the top for loading and running the software. I was a bit tired from being up since 3:30 AM for work when I tried to upload the software so probably didn't catch on as soon as I might otherwise have done so. When attempting to upload the package my system would lock up, Norton would shut down and the only way around it was to do a panic stop by pressing and holding the Power On button of the computer until it would shut down, not a good thing to have to do, but the only option I had since nothing would work.

I finally started the computer in "Safe Mode", if you are not familiar with it, basically you chose it by pressing a function key, in the case of my HP system "F9" when booting up, other systems use diffent keys or a combination, it is usually indicated on your boot screen as your computer starts. Safe Mode only allows the most basic programs required for the operating system to run. It is a diagnostic tool so that you can find out what programs are causing issues by starting them one at a time until you find the klinker that is a problem. Once in Safe Mode, I was able to insert the Model Builder Disc, upload the software and upload the Graffiti software with no further issues. Restarting the computer to run in its' regular mode then allowed me to open the software and use it as it is intended with no further issues.

This is mostly a problem with Norton Security software not playing nice with other programs in their attempts to keep us from shooting ourselves in the foot and picking up nasties from various sources. Most of the problem in my case was brain fade from too many hours in the saddle that day. But if you do have a problem with Evans Design products, rest assured that they do pay attention and provide excellent customer service to help us over any hiccups that may occur.

Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV
evande
Site Admin
Anti-spam Test 1: No
Anti-spam Test 2: 5

Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:58 pm

thanks Jay
We do try our best to keep on top of things.
We would like to point out that there are many settings within Norton and many versions of Norton. Of all who have installed to date, you are our only report of Norton fouling the install process. We also have had one report of Norton messing up program execution. I think anyone with Norton should go ahead and install. IF there is a resultant problem then try the safe mode.
I do not have Norton, but I understand that within Norton you may be able to
click on Settings >> Firewall then Click on Program Rules, In the bottom left corner click ' Add' , and Add the application to allow proper execution.

Shelly
Evan Designs