Globe Worsted Mill

Share your projects with the community! Take those snapshots now!
mojo1
Anti-spam Test 1: No
Anti-spam Test 2: 5

Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:40 pm

I've always had problems constructing industrial warehouse and factories which require a lot of windows. Woollen mills in the area of England that I model had many windows. Trying to get them straight and work out a way of glazing them has always been an issue. Not any more. Using Model Builder, a scan of a stone mould, overhead transparency paper, and a lot of glue this is what I came up with. The interior illumination is with white LEDs.

This is one of the daytime shots giving some idea of the scale of these buildings. Although my layout is comparatively small by most standards (10' X 5'6") it is based in an urban area, Bradford in West Yorkshire in the North of England, and requires that hemmed in feel where the railways had to vie for land space with the already established buildings.

View from the other direction. Railways in this country were always cramped in urban areas so this gives me an excuse to cram in as much as possible in a small space, just like the prototype.
The only problem is that by illuminating buildings etc it shows up that my trains, especially coaches, are not lit up. Just have to run it in the daytime.

Night time shot looking towards the station.

Two more night time shots. Although it doesn't show up clearly I downloaded photos of interiors of real woollen and cotton mills, imported them into Model Builder to a slightly larger size than my window templates and stuck them one half inch behind the windows. Now I find that having improved my building skills I will have to rebuild the other structures on my layout which don't match up to what I can make now!
evande
Site Admin

Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:17 am

all I can say is WOW! What an amazingly great building! The time and care really show, you must be really very happy with your Mill. It really does look like the scenes I have seen in UK. I have never been there sadly but have seen it in movies :D

Wow!
Evan Designs
Kevin WS

Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:51 am

Well done! That really is nice.

Looks like you thought it out well and with a simple approach got a really stunning result!
Emdalco01

Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:34 am

Hi,

I know it's been a long while since your post, but is there any chance you might explain how and what materials you constructed your warehouse from?

Amazing effort.

Regards Daryl
gertikad

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:23 pm

Oh man.... It is just amazing!