Printing on A4

Post your questions, comments and suggestions. Ask questions or report problems here.
evande
Site Admin
Anti-spam Test 1: No
Anti-spam Test 2: 5

Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:58 pm

Hi. I am a modeller in South Africa. I recently bought your software. For my first project I am building a warehouse in N guage. The side of the building is 5cm high by 13cm long. However when I print it it comes out at 5 cm high by 7 cm long. I use an Epson printer. I have windows XP. I have tried the alternate printer setting but it does not help. What am I doing wrong? Please help.
Evan Designs
evande
Site Admin

Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:00 pm

Hi Peter
Can you please attach your file we will open it and look at your settings?

You may need to look in "File" > "Project/Page Setup" and check your paper type and paper size.

we will know more once we see the file you attach to your reply.
for help on attaching your file to an email:

* Steps to attach a file: reply to this email
* Click your Attach a file button. On most email programs the Attach a File button is at the top just below the subject line:

When you click Attach a File, you will see a file browser come up. Browse to the location where you save your Model Builder files. Click the file you want to send and click the attach. Include any pertinent information including your operating system and send the file to us.

we look forward to helping you further!
Evan Designs
evande
Site Admin

Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:00 pm

Hi
Thanks for the quick response.
I am attaching the relevant file as asked. Just a thought.... I originally designed the project in HO scale and then resized it/rescaled it to N scale.
I have printed the HO scale version and it comes out fine.
I have windows XP home as my operating system and am using an Epson CX3700 printer.
I currently have 512 mb RAM.
Thanks for your help.
Peter Fish
Johannesburg
South Africa.
Evan Designs
evande
Site Admin

Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:01 pm

Peter
Changing scales from HO to N would not affect the printing.

When I opened your file, on my system it was set to paper size 8.5 x 11 inch. But your epson is for A4 paper. Are you using A4 as your paper type ?

As shown in the first figure of the last e-mail please check the paper size setting and make sure that it is set correctly to A4.

Also when you choose Print... re-check and confirm the paper size, some XP computers that have not be updated with recent Microsoft updates do not get the paper type and size information passed from Model Builder to the printer.
When this happens you need to re-specify these settings before actually printing.
In some rare cases on XP we have found that computer to printer communication works better if you choose your printer settings in the printers/faxes control panel before starting Model builder.

David
Evan Designs
evande
Site Admin

Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:01 pm

Hi David
Thank you for your help. Incidentally I tried using another printer HP D2360 today and everything printed OK. One question...if the paper size is so critical why did I not have problems printing the HO project? Perhaps the printer settings were different on that project and I just did not notice. Anyway I am sure I will figure it all out.
I am very happy with the software in all other respect.
A point of interest.... Why is it not possible to paint non rectangular shapes?
Regards
Peter Fish
Johannesburg
South Africa
Evan Designs
evande
Site Admin

Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:03 pm

Peter
Thanks very much for letting us know you are back on track!!
Yes, it is a good question why the HO scale printed fine, as you say it could be the printer settings changed somehow when you changed scales.
With your permission I would like to post the conversation to our feedback and helpdesk section of our forum. It is ready by many members and it could be it would help another with the A4 vs. Letter trouble. Is it ok if I post to the forum with this?

regarding painting of non-rectangulars, it is an extremely complex mathematical calculation to allow that. We have not done it yet.

David
Evan Designs