scaling

Post your questions, comments and suggestions. Ask questions or report problems here.
wjt
Anti-spam Test 1: No
Anti-spam Test 2: 5

Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:52 pm

I note that when selecting a scale of 1:75 and printing "Stones" one of the printed stones measures 1.7cm. This would translate into a real stone of well over a meter in width and I would have thought this to be excessively heavy and would have to be installed using a machine. My mathematics may be at fault but would anyone care to comment?
evande
Site Admin

Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:40 pm

hi wjt

thanks for joining us here on the forum!
The great thing about Model Builder, you can check on scale sizes of things before printing. Use the "Units" > "Actual Feet" ruler or the "Actual Inches" ruler to see the size something will be In-Scale at 1:75. Now use a piece of trim as your measuring stick.

To adjust the size of your chosen stone, put it on the design screen and click a white sizing square to paint out a good quantity of stone for your project. Next switch over to the "stretch" tool and drag your black sizing square to make the whole area of stone smaller, to make the stone your desired size. Bring over your trim piece and check to see that you have the desired size of each stone in the area.

We like to use this same technique to drag a few courses of brickwork bigger. Bigger brick sometimes makes a nice cornice or vertical trim on industrial/city buildings.
Evan Designs
evande
Site Admin

Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:42 pm

sorry, on re-reading your message I saw you are working in meters. In that case change the units to "actual meters" to see the size things will print in your scale. The rest still applies.
Evan Designs
bethelljohn

Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:38 pm

I/m not sure I am in the right place, but here goes. I am making a diorama in 1/1200 scale. I am using model builder set to 1/400 scale and then resizing in in Paint Shop pro X by .33%. I see that the designs are clear on the pdf so I decided to upload one of my designs. However there is nowhere to upload 'other scales'. In the end I uploaded it under 1/285 Wargames, but I don't want it to mislead anyone. Is there some way of flagging that it isn't supposed to be 1/285th scale? Maybe :twisted: you could create a 'junk box' for folk using non-standard scales? Or is it me being thick?
evande
Site Admin

Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:15 pm

Thanks! That is a really great idea! To have a category for "everything else" (not junk ;) ) to help out everyone with less common scales. Any files uploaded would just need the scale mentioned in the description. Not hard.
I will go make the "everything else" category now.

Shelly
Evan Designs
bethelljohn

Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:26 pm

Hi Shelley,

Thanks for your speedy response. I'm afraid I uploaded my 1/400 scale mosel under 1/35 scale armour - duh! Can you move it across to the Everything Else category folder or, if not, delete it, and I will upload it again to the right place? Sorry to be a pain. Also. can I upload a 'cover photo' after I upload a file or must it be done at the same time?

Thanks.
evande
Site Admin

Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:46 pm

Wow! Thanks for your submission!
I can delete it. I think cover photo has to be uploaded at the same time, I can upload photos after the fact as I have admin rights. Is it too much trouble to ask you to re-upload to everything else and add the picture then?
Evan Designs
bethelljohn

Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:47 am

Hi Shelly,

No problem, I will re-upload (is rthat a real word???) the file with a cover picture (of sorts) - my photograph of my 1/1200 finished model tends to lose detail ;)

Please delete the previous upload.

Thanks yet again.