Saving Models with embedded Gifs

Post your questions, comments and suggestions. Ask questions or report problems here.
Bilbo
Anti-spam Test 1: No
Anti-spam Test 2: 5

Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:29 pm

Hi Guys, I have been playing with using Gifs created in other paint programs and importing them into my Model Builder. They come in OK, but when I save the model then re-open it the Gifs have been lost. What am I doing wrong?
Also, What do the Flip and Rotate work on, I can't seem to get any selected object to do anything if I call any of these routines
evande
Site Admin

Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:06 pm

Hello!
thanks for posting. Flip and rotate are not activated yet.
Gif are not coming back after saving? Do you have 1.6.6 I will check into that.
Evan Designs
evande
Site Admin

Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:25 pm

Hi
I did not give you the link to 1.6.6 and I think that will solve it for you.
Here is the link to read about getting a free update:
http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/modelbuilder.html

there is another reason to update, besides getting your .gif back. If you want to share files with others, and I hope you do (!) the latest version 1.6.6 has the ability to keep your imported images with the file when you give it to someone else.
So the other person can enjoy your imports along with the native Model Builder images.
Evan Designs
Bilbo

Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:21 am

Hi evande,

Thanks for the response, just checked and I currently have 1.6.0 Will look at the upgrade. Last time I upgraded from 1.5 the download was OK, but refused to load over the old version. You had to send the upgrade by mail. Hopefully this shouldn't happen this time.
While I have had modelbuilder for a while, my layout (a 40 foot x 60 foot double deck monster) is only finally getting to the stage of needing to think about structures, towns etc. I plan to use modelbuilder extensively and look forward to many hours of happy building, will be quite happy to post successful designs onto the site. Good idea, by the way, things get a bit lonely over here in Australia, nice to have a forum where I can communicate with like minded people.

Regards, Bilbo
Bilbo

Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:58 am

Hi,

Just upgraded to 1.6.6 and as you suggest has fixed the
problem of lost Gifs. BUT, when importing Gif's into 1.6.0,
black came in as transparent which was pretty neat when
bringing in people to put into windows, but in 1.6.6 black
comes in as black. Have you changed what colour is seen
as transparent or is there a switch I need to set?

Bilbo
evande
Site Admin

Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:42 pm

transparency needs to be embeded in the file using your photo program. In most photo programs when you choose "save as" .gif it asks you which color to set transparent.

This information is carried with the file when it is imported into MB
Evan Designs
bethelljohn

Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:35 pm

Having got around to reading these postings, I am wondering if this is pointing to the solution to a problem I have been havinbg. I have loaded photos with transparent backgrounds and used them quite happily - blissful ignorance! I'm using Paint Shop Pro X, and it has a tool called background eraser. When I use it, the background emerges as a blue white chequerboard effect. However, whenever I save the result, PSP tells me that because of the options chosen, the file will be saved as a merged file, and when I recall the image, the background is back, but in white. Can you tell me, is this because I am saving it as a .JPG file? Should I only be saving it as a .GIF? Do you know if there is a way to Crop around an irregular shaped object, rather than the reftanular box, which is all I seem to be able to find. I'm sorry but my understanding of image formats is virtually nil, so if everything I have asked is really basic and obvious, please be patient with me, I am a bear of very little brains :lol:
evande
Site Admin

Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:57 pm

hello!
Actually I sent via email an attachment with an example of irregular crop saved w/transparent background made in PS. I guess you did not get the email?
To answer the questions:
1) yes you must save as .gif since that is the format that preserves/supports transparency. Jpeg does not have transparency support.
2) to get an irregular crop become familiar with the "magic wand" tool in Paint Shop
3) check back in your emails for the one I sent you and import the image into Model Builder, it will do what you are wanting.

I will re-send that email and then post here how I made the .gif
Evan Designs
bethelljohn

Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:26 pm

Hi Shelly,
Magic Wand? Is this jaron, or the actual name of a tool, please? I attach a screen print of my PSP sceen, and I don't seem to have any such tool.Image (hopefully, I've got the syntax right, this time...
bethelljohn

Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:29 pm

Try gain, SIGH. Image