Saving Models with embedded Gifs

Post your questions, comments and suggestions. Ask questions or report problems here.
bethelljohn

Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:30 pm

Sorry, Shelly, I'll attach it to an e-mail.
evande
Site Admin
Anti-spam Test 1: No
Anti-spam Test 2: 5

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:06 am

On my PSP there is a tool called "magic wand" that lets me pick all pixels of a color I click on. If I set my tolerance higher, I can for example crop the blue sky away from a tree. I looked at your screen capture and I see the square selection tool, it has a down arrow next to it. What do you see when you click the down arrow next to the square dotted line? I bet your magic wand is there!
I do not have PSP x I found a tutorial called "get to know PSP magic wand tool" which seems the resource you will need. Here is the link:
http://www.corel.com/content/pdf/paints ... 67Wand.pdf

When you get that read and digested, and are selecting irregular crops, the next step is to define what will be transparent. Here is another article about that, I think you should go by this article since it is for the Corel version of PSP
http://www.corel.com/content/pdf/paints ... rounds.pdf basically it tells how to erase a background and set it transparent. Once finished be sure to save as .gif
Evan Designs
bethelljohn

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:08 pm

Hi,

Here is, I hope, an image of the screen with the drop down menu activated;-
bethelljohn

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:39 pm

Hooray, its tiny, but it IS there...

Nope, I don't have a Magic Wand tool. The Erase Background does what is says, but it seems that even as a GIF, the image is merged into one layer. If I save it as a PSP image it appears to save with layers intact, and can be recalled into PSP still with transparent portions. If I select edit in PSP and copy all or part of the image, I can edit/paste the image into MB, but the transparent area becomes a white background again!!! Mutter, mutter..
I read the articles in the links, but there is nothing like it in my version. I thought X was a version number, but maybe it signifies a cut-down version. I have checked the help items in the program and it does not have anything for Magic Wand or Irrgular Cropping, so I guess it just cant be done in version X. Thank you for the time you have taken to try to help me resolve this.

I am very impressed with MB, and with the level of help and support you provide.
evande
Site Admin

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:59 pm

Really we are almost there!
That is a screen capture of a drop-down but it is the wrong drop down. I meant the drop down next to the dotted square. Just for the heck of it, click each and every drop down next to each tool in the right hand pane and read them all.

Yes your version X does seem kinda watered down compared to my version 7. But that doesn't make sense does it? Why don't you get Paint Shop pro version 7 as a fully functional download for 30 days, and then I can better guide you how I made transparency that can be associated with the .gif images for 30 days anyway ;)
Version 7 is $99 to buy and after using it for 30 days you may find you like it well enough to get it, or maybe you can then find the similar tools in X. http://www.sharewarejunkies.com/00zwd10 ... p_pro7.htm
Evan Designs
bethelljohn

Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:36 pm

Et voila - there's the magic wand!! Duh! In my defence, I am awaiting a cataract operation, but I hadn't realised those were down arrows. You've just shown me how to find loads more tools and functions. Thank you. I've also learned I can save transparent images in the PNG format, so they can be recalled into PSP. However it occurred to me to look at the file menu and under Export, there is a GIF optimizer, and this alows me to save the transparency. Thank ou, you nursed me all the way there. Sorry for all the grief.
evande
Site Admin

Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:46 pm

Yippee!! You have found it! Have fun with it!
I love my Paint Shop Pro, I have had it in various versions since the mid-1990's. It was my only tool before I moved over to Adobe Photoshop, and I still go back to my Jasc for some tasks!
Evan Designs
Kevin WS

Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:16 am

Hah - I was having the same problem - drove me mad until I thought of looking here!

All the more recent versions of PSP are largely the same, apart from added features. The X series especially are indetnical nearly and are basically the same version with more add-ons. X3 has has some nice newer features.

In the newer options you need to go FILE SAVE AS, GIF, select the OPTION button.

There next is an option for interlaced or not - I do not know what this does! Leave it on non interlaced and select the RUN OPTIMIZER button. You then have the transparency options. If you have used the WAND you can select transparency inside or outside the current selection.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Another way to isolate an object is to use the background eraser tool (play with the settings until you can get it to work for you). You now have your object with a transparent layer behind. Then to save, go through the routine above again, until after the RUN OPTIMIZER button stage. Some of the previous layer options will be unavailable - select exisiting image or layer transparency and you are done!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hope your cataract op goes well. You should be impressed with the results. Have just had both eyes done.