Wish List

Post your questions, comments and suggestions. Ask questions or report problems here.
evande
Site Admin
Anti-spam Test 1: No
Anti-spam Test 2: 5

Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:56 pm

I did a quick search and found this:
"To create your seamless tile, select the area you require. Choose Selection>Convert to Seamless Pattern. Believe it or not, that is it! The new tile opens in a new window. Save and test. You can try several different variations at one time to get perfect results quickly."
The link to the tutorial is this: http://graphicssoft.about.com/gi/o.htm? ... n21/9.html
But there are lots more you can find....
Evan Designs
Kevin WS

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:39 am

Stained Glass Windows as a download purchase option please!
evande
Site Admin

Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:11 am

HI Kevin
Sorry for the delayed reply! Stained Glass was added to the downloads available on this page:
http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/evand ... loads.html
Thank you for the suggestion.
Evan Designs
backflash

Fri May 07, 2010 5:12 pm

I am a newbie here and I see some of the features that I have thought of to improve functionality have already been brought up.
I have a couple of others which might be difficult to implement,

- Shapes with the ability to fill
- More image layers
- Joining of multiple images into one , at present you have to shift/select each item every time you want to move them
EG. if you had a door and added trim and a set of steps, you could join them and move as one item.

But with that said, I love the program and I am looking forward to my first creation.
Thanks backflash
evande
Site Admin

Fri May 07, 2010 5:51 pm

Thanks very much for the suggestions! We like the group idea and we agree it will be easier for things like you describe. Or for windows with trim and also few broken panes and such. It's on the list!

Image layers: you can layer unlimited images on top of each other now. I think what you mean is the order options? Right now when you right click an item and choose "Order" there is only "send to back" or "bring to front". I know in Corel Draw you can choose "back one" or "forward one" but in Corel Draw X4 that function most often does not work correctly :) . Thanks for the great ideas!
Evan Designs
mojo1

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:26 pm

Having had a chance to really get into the programme in order to build a large woollen mill-typical of the area I model-one thing that does spring to mind is the ability to weather the stonework/and or windows etc on screen before printing out. I presume it is not possible to use any other programme to edit mb4 files, other than Model Builder? It is possible to import the windows, place them on the stone backgroud, then print them separately on acetate by deleting the stone background (after saving the completed design), work on them individually, and then fix them behind the stone work where the window apertures have already been cut out. They then line up perfectly. But, given my project covers 144 windows, some individualising would be a bonus. But hey, the programme works very well, with some occasional glitches. Also, for British modellers I think it would be a big help if there were more stonework backgrounds available, as this is used extensively in building throughout the UK. I did contact John Wiffen of Scalescenes in this country to encourage him to extend the range he provided to you to include stonework so I hope this will happen sometime soon. In the meantime I will post the files I made up using the programme along with a scan from a plastic moulding.
evande
Site Admin

Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:52 pm

thanks for the post, you covered a lot of subjects, so read my answers below your questions
I presume it is not possible to use any other programme to edit mb4 files
there is a free program: primopdf.com that you can use. Primo installs just like a printer. When you are finished with a file in Model Builder select file>print and use primo to make a pdf. Then you can edit the resulting pdf in corel, adobe, other photo editing programs. Search on this forum for pdf there is a detailed post with screen captures.
some individualising would be a bonus
at the bottom of the window palette there is a group called "window panes" they are blank or broken squares of glass you can use to make each window a bit different.
more stonework backgrounds available
thanks for the suggestions. Have you checked the palette "Boundary walls" in MB? It has more stone. Also Brickyard (a $12 plug-in) has more stone also. But maybe you already have that?
Evan Designs
mojo1

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:00 pm

Hi, thanks for the response. I already have primopdf but hadn't thought to use it for post Model Builder work so I'll try it in PSE 7. I'll look into the window pane alterations. Yes, I do have Brickyard, which I bought at Caboose Hobbies in Denver, (which put me on the trail of Model Builder), but I hadn't looked at Boundary Walls. Something else to check out. There does seem to be some difference between masonry work in the US and the UK but I'm not an expert at this. It is possible to scan in stone sheets relevant to the UK, which are produced in this country, but I'm not sure whether this infringes copyright. John Wiffen does a very nice well weathered random ashlar sandstone sheet but again I'm not clear whether it infringes his copyright if I adapt it to use it in Model Builder. In the meantime I'm more than satisfied with the programme and am tempted to start replacing some of my earlier efforts with an "in house style".

Thanks again
evande
Site Admin

Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:05 am

I am not sure if Elements has the same options as CS2 but there are some nice ways to get weathering done w/CS2
What I like to do is click the brush tool. In the top menu bar where it says Brush: there is a down arrow next to the word that gets you to the adjustments of the size of the brush, the "hardness" of the brush and the shape of the brush. I usually go very soft with my brush as it is easier to layer on the weathering than go heavy all at once. Use the eyedropper to pick a color you like in the nearby elements in your building, you want the soot/rust/peeled paint/grunge to be natural looking as possible.
Of course you can also use paints or chalks just as you would with a plastic/laser cut. Here is an image of a Model Builder building nicely done with acrylics paints:Image

Regarding scanning John's sheets, if you do so, don't share those on the file-share. But best to check with him regarding any use. What did he reply when you asked him for more stone? I know the brick he offers is very popular!
here is the link to his plug-in for those who do not know about it yet.
http://www.scalescenes.com/products/TXm ... d907bcccd7
Evan Designs
mojo1

Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:27 am

Hi, thanks for the weathering tips. Back in March I e mailed John Wiffen re a stone plug in. He said he would consider it but he wanted to see how the brick one did first. Maybe you can encourage him by telling him his first plug in is doing so well! I uploaded 2 mb4 files of stone panels and windows yesterday, using a scan of a plastic stone mould whose origins I can't identify. However, I didn't send a picture of the half completed building. Is it still possible to upload a picture of the building in progress after the mb4 files have been sent?
I'll keep in mind your point about not posting anything which could infringe anyone's copyright.
Many thanks