Wish List

Post your questions, comments and suggestions. Ask questions or report problems here.
Kevin WS
Anti-spam Test 1: No
Anti-spam Test 2: 5

Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:24 pm

Try having a search on the Internet for stone textures.

There are quite a few sites with FREE stone textures which you can then edit and use via a photo editor (Adobe, Corel, PSPS etc).
evande
Site Admin

Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:36 pm

as far as I know it is not possible for anyone but the admin (us) to add a picture after the upload. Can you send the pictures by email or add to this post? I will copy them and add them to your mb4 uploads for you!
Evan Designs
mojo1

Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:14 pm

Thanks Kevin for the suggestion re stone textures. Re the photo I'll try some shots and download the best one to Photobucket and email you the link. Hope they come out.
mojo1

Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:06 pm

Hi, this is the link to the photo of the partially completed mill building, with a lot of detailing still to do. It ended up about 6 foot long, hence the 144 windows which Model Builder made so much easier to do. These building dominated, and still do, the skyline in the north of England and the wool and cotton industries contributed a lot to the growth of the railways in this country. The windows catch the light differently depending on the angle you look at so I think it's worth the trouble of separate glazing. I used other materials to give some relief to the building but it needs things like down pipes etc, and some more weathering. Shame I'd already built the carcass before the suggestion re editing it as a pdf via Primopdf came up. Something to consider for the next one.
http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn13 ... ure009.jpg
evande
Site Admin

Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:04 am

Great building! I can see a lot of work went into that!! Congrats on an excellent job. You must be pretty happy.
I will let you in on a secret :D Even though I have used Photoshop CS2 since it came out, and Photoshop 5,6,7 over the years.... when it comes to weathering, I never use it! I use my chalks, powders, and acrylics thinned with rubbing alcohol. It just gives a so much more natural touch in my opinion. You can't touch it with the computer editing.
So, print something quick from MB that is similar to your masterpiece, or print a few sheets off. Then go ahead! Open the paint jars, mix up some chalk and have fun testing out what you can do.
Here is something the guy who owns Testor's airbrushed at a show
We had the booth next to his and he felt like having a bit of fun!

I made this one with some black acrylic paint (brick from brickyard)
Evan Designs
mojo1

Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:12 pm

Hi, thanks for your comments. Yes there's nothing to touch acrylics, dry brushing and weathering powders to give some texture, especially to 2d modelling. I would use PSE7 just to add variety to the background, and windows, but when it comes to the final touch you need some anologue hands-on. Industrial buildings in the north of England in the time period I model were very soot stained due to the combination of heavy coal burning and the amount of rain we get here.
mojo1

Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:01 pm

Just to let you know that I contacted John Wiffen at Scalescenes re making Mb4 files of his stone paper sheets. He said he was unlikely to do this himself as he hadn't sold that much of the brickwork. However, he did say that he had no objection with using his stone papers in Model Builder, but for personal use only. Posting is obviously a no no.
evande
Site Admin

Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:36 pm

well, good news and bad I guess.
I will mention his brick add-on to more people.

But at least you can import his stone for use in your personal Model Builder buildings! Good to know that.
Evan Designs
Michael Duckett

Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:33 am

Got a question about the Origin. Why is the Origin in the Upper Left corner? I have been in various trades Drafting, Sheet Metal Fabrication, Tool Design, Residential Construction, Commercial Construction etc. My first copy of AutoCad was 1.8!!! I have looked at a lot of pictures over 50 years and drawn a lot of pictures, some kinda nice, and i have never seen the Origin anywhere but the LOWER left. Could ya fix that? Then Align should be to the BOTTOM of the Object. Or selectable.
Michael the Crank
Michael Duckett

Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:55 am

Ohh, Ohh. Got a better idea. When working with the Building Plans, i was seized with the desire to move the origin of the Y axis to even with the bottom edge of the building plan wall.
Make the Origin Location at Start Up a preference, (Upper Left or Lower Left) and then make both the X and Y origins movable and have the value saved with the drawing, so that when you reopen a drawing, the origin is where you left it at the last save or close.
That would be so cool, nobody does that. At least not easily.
Have a cross hair ( a light center line per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Line_types.png) show the Origin when it is not at the default location at the corner.
Michael the Crank