Printing in N scale after changing scales

Post your questions, comments and suggestions. Ask questions or report problems here.
Michael Duckett

Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:23 am

I am using Build 1.6.16 on a fairly zippy dual core running XP Home. Just FYI. I created a drawing in O scale. Works great. Convert to N scale works great. Convert to HO scale, program sez "Loading File, please wait" and hangs. Must kill it with the Task Manager. Restart in HO scale, works fine. If i close the File and use File/Model Builder Setup to change scales it hangs.
More Fun: I created a simple building flat in N scale. Looks nice. When i print it, the Height is correct, but the Length is reduced by half. Odd.
Michael the Crank
Michael Duckett

Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:04 am

I created a wall section in O scale, 40x20. 2 windows. Concrete post and beam, brick infill. 2 large factory windows. Printed great.
Saved file.
Closed program.
Opened program in N scale.
Opened file.
Looks good.
Print Preview.
Looks Good.
Print.
Oh, POOP. Height is correct width is compressed to 50%. Spits out 3 blank sheets.

File - Page/Print Setup - Project/Page window: Shows only one sheet, and NO options.

Printer Settings/Printer Routine: Select Alternate.
Click OK in Dialog Box
Select Type H as i have an HP D2680 Printer
Click Save: Blue Settings Changed appears
Close Box
Print
Same result
Open Printer Settings/Printer Routine: Huh Sez DEFAULT
WTF
Michael the Crank
evande
Site Admin
Anti-spam Test 1: No
Anti-spam Test 2: 5

Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:28 pm

sorry for the slow reply! we are on the road today returning tomorrow.
can you attach the 2 files you speak of, we will need to test in the development environment to determine what you are speaking of. Thanks! Get back after we see your files
Evan Designs
Michael Duckett

Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:00 pm

Here ya go. I hope it worked
Michael the Crank
evande
Site Admin

Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:53 am

When opening a file that was originally created in a larger scale use the following procedure.
A) download the file and save it to your computer
B) open Model Builder and choose the smaller scale that you wish to use from the opening screen.
c) From the main Design Screen choose "Open" from the "File" drop-down menu.
Model Builder will prompt that you are opening a file designed in another scale, are you sure? respond OK.
Once open, you can modify the project to your liking or just select print

Things to be aware of ...
When opening a project into a smaller scale, multi-page projects may fit in fewer pages. For example if
opening a project that was originally designer in O scale in either HO or N the project should fit on 1 page.
When opeing a project in a larger scale than the project was designed in you may need to add page(s) to
your project after it opens. Add pages in the "Page/Setup" window that is found under the "File drop-
down menu.

N and smaller scales do not have the option to add pages to a project as they usually have enough room on a single page. So anything originally designed in O will easily fit one page in N

I tried printing the file you uploaded to the O scale share category by opening it into N-scale and it printed fine. Can you attach to this thread the file that printed wrong in N? I cannot seem to duplicate your result at all.

The alternate printer option in "Print Settings" is really not needed unless you have an XP computer that
has not received any updates. Sometimes the windows service packs are not installed correctly on some XP's. In all other situations the default printer settings are optimized for the best results.

Dave
Evan Designs
evande
Site Admin

Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:07 pm

Nothing is attached. To attach a file to a post, click reply and at the bottom (below the typing area) look for and click the blue "upload attachment" tab.
You will see
Filename: Browse...

File comment:

I just tested uploading a file and it worked. Maybe yours needs to be zipped first though, I have not checked the attachment size limits. 46K worked fine.
Attachments
shotlarge.jpg
O scale building image
(46.53 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Evan Designs
evande
Site Admin

Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:10 pm

If i close the File and use File/Model Builder Setup to change scales it hangs.
Tried several times with my Win7 could not duplicate. We have a Vista, Win7, XP here. Will see if it is repeatable on XP but it would help to have the file you worked with.

Converted several O files to N, they are printing correctly. Will wait for your file. Is it the one uploaded to the O section in the file-share area??
Evan Designs
evande
Site Admin

Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:51 pm

I did a variety of tests with opening files for other scales than they were originally designed for.
I found that one computer a XP ACER netbook computer was slow at releasing memory for reuse, when changing scales from within the program, and not all memory was reclaimed. The third time I changed scales from within the program on my Acer it did not finish completely which is what you described I think when you mentioned it "hung".
Instead, when changing scales I find that it is much faster to close Model Builder and then start Model Builder from my desktop icon. Model Builder will not have to wait for the project to close and the Design Screen to be configured for the new scale. It has a fresh start, and is quicker.

If you have problems changing scales when going from the "Model Builder setup screen" option inside Model Builder then just close Model Builder and start again in your new scale. It's quicker on memory use.

Possibly closing Model Builder before opening in another scale will fix your N scale height problem. I was not able to duplicate that problem at all on my Acer.
Evan Designs
Michael Duckett

Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:36 pm

Dave,
Here is the problematic file.
Michael the Crank
Michael Duckett

Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:20 am

Ok, I'm back. Been out playing with trains all day. Here is another go at uploading that file. 254K.
Michael the Crank