Where'd my Scroll Bar go?

Post your questions, comments and suggestions. Ask questions or report problems here.
DS2Dale
Anti-spam Test 1: No
Anti-spam Test 2: 5

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:46 pm

I really never thought I'd be sending in a report but...

I'm running XP on a fairly good computer. I'm working on an O scale Handcar House. It has 2 (8 1/2 x 11) pages enabled, 1 and 3 (File/PageSetup). I found the need to zoom to 200 percent. When I zoomed back to 100 my scroll bar disappeared and I could not get back to my edits on page 3 until I restarted the program. Page 3 disappears from the workplane, too. If I looked at the PrintPreview, I could see page 3 just fine. This problem is distressing because it disturbs the work.

Less troublesome is the fact that the program will not stay in full-screen mode. For instance, I put the program in full-screen (I have 2 monitors) on the left screen. Then I modify the page setup. When I close the page setup, the program display is windowed and offset a bit to the right (the red X is half on my right screen). Not a show-stopper but annoying nonetheless.

Also: My railroad of choice is the Pacific Coast Railway. They used Board-and-Batten almost exclusively. In 1905, the Superintendent was asked if a certain building belonged to the Railroad and he quipped, "If it has any paint on it, it's not ours." So, my request is for some board-and-batten that is somewhat silvery and some dark-brownish. Maybe a 'Siding Designer' capability with some vertical components rather that just the horizontal ones.

Just thought you might want to know.

Dale
They laugh at Me because I'm different,
I laugh at Them because They're all the same....
evande
Site Admin

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:31 pm

We will check over your description about page 3 disappearing after screen zoom 200 > back to 100. Also full screen mode changing after page setup.

What you maybe be able to try in this case is re-confirm File>Project Page setup and just re-click that page 3 in setup. That should make it re-appear, we will test further
my request is for some board-and-batten
. Did you know you can import images from your computer or from the net. http://evandesignsmodelbuilder.com/videos2.php the second video on this page is import.
We have had it suggested to add vertical siding to the siding editor, we agree it would be a good thing to have!
Evan Designs
evande
Site Admin

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:27 pm

tested 1) including a page in a project 2) screen zoom and yes, did see the extra page "vanish" then clicked File>project/page setup and "OK" button and 2nd page re-appeared. This is an easily repeatable and fixable one. For now, until we release an update just click "Ok" on your project page setup to get the other page(s) to re-appear after screen zoom operations.
Evan Designs
evande
Site Admin

Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:54 pm

Fixed the "disappearing" page 3 that you experienced.

When you say full screen did not stay maximized after page setup we tried on our 2-monitor setup and saw it did not stay maximized but it did not offset to the right as you say. We can make it stay maximized, will fix that for you but we cannot duplicate the offset to the right. So you can test for us after we send you the update.

Will send you a new version later today to the email you used to register for this forum.
Evan Designs
evande
Site Admin

Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:50 am

update has been sent to your email!
Evan Designs
DS2Dale

Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:37 pm

Ahhh, no. It still does it. But I did notice one thing....

I wanted to get the terminology right, so I did a 'right click' on the model builder program in the task bar. It didn't do anything except bring the program to the front (which it should not have done). As I have a half dozen or so programs running, I did a right click on one of those. The terminology is 'minimize', 'restore', and 'maximize'. Your program doesn't show the right-click sub-menu at the task bar. (Another option at the task bar sub-menu is to close the program [alt-F4], which doesn't show, either.)

To re-state the bug: I click 'maximize' and the program does it. I work for a while and eventually I want to see a preview of the printout (for instance). All that works OK. When I close the print preview, the main program window returns to 'restore' size. This happens whenever I close any 'child' window (page setup, etc.).

OK, now I'm chuckling. Just for the heck of it, I went to the 'Page Setup' screen after clicking 'maximize'. Watching closely as I closed the 'Page Setup' screen, I notice that the main (design screen) window actually does 'restore' but then jumps right back to 'maximize'. I know I have a fairly warped sense of humor, but that's funny! Just as a further test, I opened the page setup screen with the design screen in 'restore' and it did not jump up to 'maximize' (it worked correctly).

I'd be willing to bet that, if the task-bar options were working, the window would behave properly. It's just a guess, mind you, but I have been struggling with Microsoft since DOS....

I hope I'm getting the terminology right: Lack of communication is, in this case, the root of all evil.

Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday, real life intervened. I'll report on my test the other features in a separate post.

Thanks for the incredible support.

Dale
evande
Site Admin

Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:15 pm

Ahhh, no. It still does it.
Screen zoom no longer loses other pages on our XP system which was the primary issue. So maybe I misunderstood " it "?

Right click giving the option minimize/maximize is gone in Win7. All I see when right clicking is "pin to taskbar" or "close program" no more min/max like XP or Vista. Those options with right click are based on your windows version. The program does not control it. Don't you love windows?

You specifically mentioned that project/page setup caused restore of page. So we looked closely at that. I guess while we were looking we should have also tested all pop-up windows for this same thing. Windows controls program window placement behavior. It appears that we need to be aware of this any time a pop-up window is closed. We will do further work and testing.

Thanks for the very useful feedback!
Evan Designs
DS2Dale

Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:26 pm

You're right, you're right, I know you're right. My mistake! Just got side-tracked a bit by the window thing.

Yes, zoom stuff works great, now, thanx!

As to the stuff about the 'right click', it must have been cerebral flatulence on my part because now (after I minimized everything) it all works correctly, my mistake again. [I can see everybody scratching their heads saying, "Huh? What's Dale talking about?" when I put that statement in a previous post. I can't figure it out, either. All I can say is that it was real early, here....]

As to the design screen window maximize/restore: I really meant that it would show this behavior with any daughter window and used page setup as a 'for instance', which is where the communication thing comes in. I knew I wasn't putting it right. System windows (open, Save as..., etc.) don't change the window size to restore but all the model builder daughters do (of the ones I've checked; haven't tried 'import' yet, for instance).

OK, i just played with it a bit. Until now, I'd never actually changed the size of the 'restored' window, I was just using the default window size that came off the CD. I have now changed the design screen 'restored' window in various ways and, whenever a model builder daughter window is closed and the design screen 'maximize' window size had been selected, the design screen window always reverts to the immediately previous design screen 'restored' window size and location, even if that location is split between the left and the right displays.

It wouldn't really be a bother except that I often have a passel of windows open showing various views and other information and I sort-of freestyle tile the various windows so I can get at them quickly....

FYI, Video is nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS with 256 MB and 197.45 driver.

Dale
evande
Site Admin

Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:55 am

Fixed! We checked every pop-up (as we should have when you 1st mentioned it). We will send a link again to your email.
Evan Designs