Floating Ruler

Post your questions, comments and suggestions. Ask questions or report problems here.
Michael Duckett

Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:27 am

Reeeaaallllly like it.
With Model Builder open and ruler on top, bring Firefox window to front. Ruler is on top of Firefox.
Open Ruler dialog Box. Hover over LENGTH. Plural of Foot is Feet, not Feets. Silly.
Would like a scale on the inside of the Carpenter's Square also please. The pivot feature is great. It needs to pivot around the Origin. Angle readout options in %grade and pitch (units per unit). I'm a Carpenter.
Michael the Crank
DS2Dale
Anti-spam Test 1: No
Anti-spam Test 2: 5

Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:00 pm

OK, a couple more:

When I change units {inches/feet/meters} (just as a test, mind you, I probably wouldn't do this if I were in the middle of a project) the scale on the floater does not change, too.

When using the Reference Line, it would be nice to have a digital readout somewhere....

I would like to be able to reposition the Ref Line on the ruler without turning the ref. line off and then positioning a new one.

As a Global Change, I would like to see dimensions and positions in 'Feet and Inches' as an available selection rather than just 'decimal Feet' (I don't know anyone who uses decimal feet in architecture). Also, while 'Width' and 'Height' are in hundredths, 'Top' and 'Left' are only in tenths and when I input 'something plus 1/4 foot', the program changes it to point three and that can be disconcerting....

As a side note for any users not familiar with Architectural Notation, it is the number of feet [even if it's zero], then a single tic mark, then a dash, then (and always) the whole number of inches [even if it's zero] and an optional fraction (halves, quarters, eighths, or sixteenths [always a power of two]) and finally a double tic. so, 5'-0" is valid but 5' is not. 0'-3 1/16" is good, too. No spaces.

Happy modeling.

Dale
They laugh at Me because I'm different,
I laugh at Them because They're all the same....
evande
Site Admin

Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:02 pm

thanks for the feedback! We will study each comment
Evan Designs
evande
Site Admin

Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:12 am

great comments! We appreciate the feedback.
  • "When I change units the scale on the floater does not change, too." Yes, it was designed that way. Idea being you can keep track of printed size with one ruler, scale inches with another ruler. We visioned having more than one ruler open at a time. Only sticking point right now is 1st ruler does not move when 2nd ruler open. Maybe we can fix that point soon. To get a ruler scale feet, for example open one when you are in that unit.

"I would like to be able to reposition the Ref Line on the ruler without turning the ref. line off and then positioning a new one."
    We will look at that. Right now you can make multiple reference lines, one at each position you need. Then turn them all off when done

"With Model Builder open and ruler on top, bring Firefox window to front. Ruler is on top of Firefox."
    If you minimize Model Builder then it will minimize the ruler too. On my computer Fox draws 1303712K of memory. I checked just now. Fox is a big hog!! Not that IE is any better. Maybe run Model Builder when Fox is not running. Just a suggestion.

"Open Ruler dialog Box. Hover over LENGTH. Plural of Foot is Feet, not Feets."
    good catch! We always just dragged the white square on the ruler to re-size it. We had a metric guy help with coding this.

"Would like a scale on the inside of the Carpenter's Square also please"
    do you mean tic marks inside of the ruler instead of on the outside?

"It needs to pivot around the Origin."
    good idea, need to figure how to do that. You can after rotating it drag it to the desired location.

"Angle readout options in %grade and pitch (units per unit). I'm a Carpenter."
    hmm have to look into that one too.

"As a Global Change, I would like to see dimensions and positions in 'Feet and Inches' as an available selection rather than just 'decimal Feet' (I don't know anyone who uses decimal feet in architecture). Also, while 'Width' and 'Height' are in hundredths, 'Top' and 'Left' are only in tenths and when I input 'something plus 1/4 foot', the program changes it to point three and that can be disconcerting...."
    A really big change to make feet inches options. Our calipers are in decimal inches, which is how we build our model buildings.
    But not understanding Top/Left differing from Width/Height they are both in 100ths on my monitor.
Evan Designs
Michael Duckett

Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:12 am

"Would like a scale on the inside of the Carpenter's Square also please"
do you mean tic marks inside of the ruler instead of on the outside?

Carpenters Square has 2 scales at least. One on the inside and one on the outside. Each has a different origin, being the inside or outside corner of the square. When rotating, one should ideally be able to select which origin to be the pivot.

Michael the Crank
evande
Site Admin

Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:28 am

yes, we have Carpenter's Squares, we just wanted to clarify that point to be sure we understood.

Yes we will look at rotate with set point of pivot!
Evan Designs