Align and Distribute Issues

Post your questions, comments and suggestions. Ask questions or report problems here.
evande
Site Admin
Anti-spam Test 1: No
Anti-spam Test 2: 5

Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:06 pm

The file you sent, it has the problem but we just cannot backtrack to see how it occurred. Was there a scale change? or some other event to do with save/recall maybe?

We have not been able to replicate what you saw either. Every file we make, using same scale (N) and a wall, and going screen zoom 50% =>edit the file then screen 100%=>add more windows back =>50% add more stuff. With and any number of windows, cannot get the effect!

We will look at the latest file.
Evan Designs
Michael Duckett

Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:53 pm

Haven't been in any scale but N with this one
Michael the Crank
Michael Duckett

Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:57 pm

Only thing that i can think of, the file started in 1.6.17beta. Both the weird distribute thing and the odd door thing after changing to 1.6.17 distribution. I'm just gonna start over and see if it goes away.
Michael the Crank
evande
Site Admin

Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:59 pm

Maybe the best bet. We actually saw that door behave weird in the 1st file sent this morning.

Right now we are working on something that will "track" how a file is built so we can follow along and step by step and not have to ask you how you got this to happen all the time.
Evan Designs
Michael Duckett

Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:18 am

With this file; Left Wall, which i emailed
Select all of the Right End Trim and the Top Trim
Align, Right, Preview
What happens to your file?
On mine they Vanish.
Michael the Crank
evande
Site Admin

Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:12 pm

since there were several separate threads all on the single topic of align and distribute functions, we have made a single common thread for ease of readers and ourselves. No topics/posts were lost by this.
Evan Designs
Michael Duckett

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:45 pm

"Right now we are working on something that will "track" how a file is built so we can follow along and step by step and not have to ask you how you got this to happen all the time."

Will this then allow unlimited Undos?
Michael the Crank
evande
Site Admin

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:59 pm

It is a precursor of undo, yes. Each action being track-able is not the full ability to revert each action. It will require additional coding to successfully work each action in reverse.

We studied your 3 files and identified and fixed the distribute "stacking" and the align "vanishing". We are further testing more possible ways to break. Still need to analyze the door that partially printed.

By the way: Did you know? Next to the tiny piece of keystone trim there is a bigger piece that will only need 1-2 pieces for the whole wall, then a filler piece of tiny.
Evan Designs
evande
Site Admin

Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:55 am

Michael,
I just sent a link to an update that fixes 2 issues you identified with files you sent:
Align/Distribute Problem results in missing or stacked items (items that were selected for alignment):
I changed the way align and distribute is coded. I also made a change to the way align center works to make it easier to understand. Align center with reference to a single item will have to wait until a full version upgrade.

Print Preview + Printing Error on some Windows and Doors – I was able to observe the print preview and printing errors you identified with the arched windows and doors on the file you sent. There was a data error embedded in your files, I do not know how it got there. There are properties associated with non-rectangular objects, such as arched windows and doors that should not be changeable. In your file the attributes were somehow changed. I have not seen this before so I am not sure what could cause this. I re-coded print preview/print to ignore any changes to the attributes for arched windows and doors. Tested your files and they work fine now and should for you also.
Evan Designs
Michael Duckett

Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:44 am

Got the link and loaded the beta, thanks.

On the partial windows, i did find that if i deleted them and put in a new one by duplicating the one next to it and then placing it using align and distribute (So Bloody Simple!! I love it!) it fixed the problem. So the error was not caused by the object that i was duplicating. I would select a window from the menu, place it roughly on the field, size it, then duplicate it a buncha times. Important note: I duplicated progressively. I'd clone (a better term, i think) an object, then clone that one, then clone that one and so on. One would think, if the cloning process was responsible, that all of the clones after a bad one would be bad. This does not appear to be the case, however, if that error recurs, i will test it more rigorously.
Thanks,
Michael the Crank