Sam's Barrel Factory

Discussion about the Models you have uploaded, or Models you are planning on making, or Models you would like to make
Garry Vreeland

Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:37 pm

Sam's Barrel Factory is an 'L" shaped building. As with most of my buildings I glued the walls to balsa wood sheets to make the building more sturdy. If you're using regular printer paper be careful not to use too much glue(Elmer's) as sometimes the colors will bleed into each other. The roof is made from balsa wood sheets painted charcoal black. The stairs and loading dock are made from balsa wood. For the surface of the loading dock I used the wood siding glued to the surface. The stairs and the rest of the dock were painted light gray. The over-hang above the loading dock was made from balsa sheet and rusty metal siding glued on top of it. The roof vents are made from wooden dowels. The air conditioner is made from the utilities air conditioner. I printed four copies of it and glued them to a square dowel. The side vent pipe was made from a plastic sprue. "Sam's Barrel Factory" sign was made on my computer. Hope this building works for you. If you have any problems or questions, leave me a note and I'll try to answer it. - Garry
SRV Ron
Anti-spam Test 1: No
Anti-spam Test 2: 5

Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:38 pm

Try printing on matt paper heavweight. That should be sturdy enough as is for smaller structure. You can also reinforce with boxboard, the stuff from cereal boxes, etc... by using double stick tape instead of glue. Use the Elmer's white glue sparingly which works well for gluing down tabs.
Garry Vreeland

Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:35 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I wish I had known that before I had all my buildings constructed. Thanks - Garry