new issue

Post your questions, comments and suggestions. Ask questions or report problems here.
gazerm42
Anti-spam Test 1: No
Anti-spam Test 2: 5

Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:02 pm

When I import a gif file into MB then save the file, when I reopen it the gif is gone. I made sure that it isn't an index file, and it's in RGB. Help Please?

gazerm42
evande
Site Admin

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:46 pm

Just tried it with a handful of .gif and could not repeat what you had happen. All the .gif stayed with mine on re-open.
So we can better track this, 1) can you attach the .gif that you saw the problem with? 2) what is your operating system? so we can run the tests on your same OS

Thanks!
Evan Designs
gazerm42

Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:01 pm

I'm running Win 7 now. I noticed my gif's were saved as index files so I was converting my gif's to RGB and then I noticed that they still remain as an index file after I saved them as RGB and opened them later. I don't know if the index file is the problem or not.
oval web.gif
oval web.gif (105.68 KiB) Viewed 4396 times
evande
Site Admin

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:52 am

very nice window!
I right clicked your gif and chose "save image as" and saved the window to a folder on my hard drive. Then I imported it into Model builder on 3 of our Win 7 machines (1 home premium, 2 of 64-bit). Then I saved the file on each one, closed, re-opened. The window is still there, could not repeat it disappearing. I attached the little mb4 file to this, it's called giftest.mb4 if you want to open it on your machine

This really makes it a lot harder to troubleshoot, if we cannot duplicate your error here.
I guess you could try right click the image you attached from this site, then save as and then and see if you get different results?

And you could attach the window to an email to [email protected] and also attach your mb4 file that exhibits the rogue gif. Then we can see if it is on save or on reopen that the file goes missing for you.

Your Win7 install is fresh? It is unlikely to be missing activex components then. But you did say it crashed recently? Gif save uses activex, you can download from microsoft or check your Win7 over.
Attachments
giftest.mb4
test file, 2 gif imported in it
(668 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Evan Designs
evande
Site Admin

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:55 am

oh, if you are a firefox fan like me when you go to open the giftest file first save it. Then open it. Fox is not opening right into the program
Evan Designs
gazerm42

Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:01 pm

Evande,

I installed Win 7 now after the recent crash. The jpg's I have work fine, the gif opens fine in firefox. None of the gif pictures I have work in MB. They used to work before the new install. When I place the gif window on the building I'm making ,everything looks fine. After I close MB and reopen it, the gif is gone. However, after messing with it, if I click where I put the window, a blue box the same size as the window I placed shows up. So the graphic disappears but leaves the window that it was in. I went to Microsoft. com and I looked for an active x download. They said something to the effect of: if you download Active x you better know what you're doing because it may cause a security problem allowing people to get onto your computer. I have been working with computer graphics since 1992 as a profession. I was going crazy trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. it was only a little gif file. I don't know what the problem is. I sure do appreciate you looking into it for me though.

Have a good day,
Mark
evande
Site Admin

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:45 pm

thank you for sending along the mb4 file and the gif. It is not a problem with the gif format you use, we can leave that off from consideration. And only gif uses a separate way to save and re-open. jpeg and others would be unaffected by missing components.

And it is not a problem with gif save. As you said, your gif is still there on re-open however it not displaying for you. I opened your model builder file you sent, saw the gif. Saved and closed, re-opened it .... and gif is still there.

We do not put activex data objects (ADO2.8) into the install because normally it is already there. And it should be already on your new Win7 computer. We searched and did see some issues with it on Win7 OS and saw something about it included in SP1. Does your Win7 have automatic updates turned on? Our newest computer with Win7 cranked away for an hour downloading and installing updates when we first turned it on a few weeks ago.

Just in case it is somehow or other related to the new version download not going right, we will mail you the full on disc on Monday. Also just running the update on the site:
http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/modelbuilder.html might fix something.
Evan Designs
evande
Site Admin

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:00 pm

Just stumbled across what is happening. We had been opening your files "cold" by double-clicking the file or by choosing the file to open from the Model Builder opening screen. With the program closed. And the gif was always there, displaying fine.

But when we clicked "File" > "Open..." from inside the program on the design screen we were able to see the gif disappear.

That was the difference, why you were seeing it and we could not!

So the temporary fix is to open your files with closing the program in between. Until we track it. But now (finally) we can track it.
Evan Designs
evande
Site Admin

Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:00 am

Fixed the .gif! Try this update we have made:
http://train.modeltrainsoftware.com/mbu ... Update.exe
and let us know!
Evan Designs