Complex Structures

Share your projects with the community! Take those snapshots now!
nyowrr
Anti-spam Test 1: No
Anti-spam Test 2: 5

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:08 pm

Several months ago I received a commission to design and build an N scale model of a person’s home. A group of photos showed many of the proportions, but some I could only “guesstimate.” The home had many intersecting roofs, several dormers and a variety of protrusions or “kick outs.”

In a fashion similar to parts design in a mechanical industry you have to think how the different parts will be assembled and how the model will be assembled. A schematic drawing is a good step to detect possible assembling difficulties and to make compromises. For beginners, the first project must be a simple box. Structure models are often easier to design with simplification and high reduction of detail. Only afterward more complicated shapes.

Fortunately I was a mechanical designer for many years and still use AutoCAD. Many hours of input and adjustment went into a complete multi-view drawing. After 3 mock-ups and more adjustments, I felt that I could assemble a reasonable copy.

The uploaded photos show this completed project. It is the most complex model I have designed in Model Builder and assembled. Hope you enjoy and that it might stimulate everyone.

Nyowrr
1and2 03.jpg
(44.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet
1and2 03.jpg
1and2 03.jpg
1and2 03.jpg
Attachments
4and1 01.JPG
(40.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet
3and4 01.JPG
(40.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2and3 01.jpg
(41.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet
evande
Site Admin
Anti-spam Test 1: No
Anti-spam Test 2: 5

Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:32 pm

Wow! Great project, thanks for sharing the pictures!, I like how all the dormers came out. Very nice!
Thanks for sharing the details of your project.
I also am a Mechanical Engineer, but in my first job I worked on instrumentation and controls as computers were taking over back then. A good background for designing Model Builder.
Dave
Evan Designs